Damon Dark World

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Damon Dark World and his spin-off: Vincent Kosmos, The Young Adventures of Damon Dark, The Lansing Chronicles.

4 posters

The Woodbin Screens "Terror 9 11"!!!

Straker
    Straker
    Admin

The Woodbin Screens "Terror 9 11"!!! Empty The Woodbin Screens "Terror 9 11"!!!

Post  Straker Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:18 am

Well, tonight was a bit of fun...The Woodbin Theatre in Geelong decided to have a fundraiser night called "Showing Off", which began with a short comedy play (featuring the ever-captivating Robert Trott!) and a screening of some 14 short films. Included in the mix was Damon Dark's "Terror 9 11".

It was fascinating for me to sit in the front row (I'd have preferred a seat further back, TBH!) and see how it went down with the audience.

Ten years ago, in 1999, Damon Dark "Maddox" screened at the 57th World Science Fiction Convention in Melbourne. The audience laughed so much, I figured I had failed miserably. Devastated, I crawled away and licked my wounds for a long time before I tried again...

But tonight, the audience still laughed a bit, but then I noticed they laughed at the other films, the serious ones as well as the comedies...and it suddenly hit me...some people will laugh at any damn thing...no matter what...just because they're watching a screening.

Maybe I took it too hard all those years ago...but I do know that a lot of people remarked that "Terror 9 11" was very thought-provoking and I got some encouragement.

Also nice and surprising...I was talking to Ed Dolista, who had one his films screened and is on YouTube...and I was surprised that he and another actor there started talking to me and Robert about Damon Dark with so much familiarity...I suddenly realised these guys had been watching the series. It was a strange feeling, really and very cool! Smile

Over all, it was agood night and I talked to two very nice ladies about appearing in a couple of Damon Dark scripts, "Casualties of War" and "Kill Damon!". That will be good, because I think the ladies are very good actors who will bring something special to the scripts.

On a related note, Steve "Uncle Fred" Connell popped over to my place this afternoon and I screened the 8 parts of "UFO Hunter?" for him on DVD. Over all, I think he really quite liked it. He had many kind things to say about the contributions from Robert, Chris and Oliver, too.

So, it's been an interesting day for me, a chance to show my films to people and see how they react! Always important, when you want to make good films that entertain people!
    j3pfilms
    j3pfilms
    Admin

The Woodbin Screens "Terror 9 11"!!! Empty Re: The Woodbin Screens "Terror 9 11"!!!

Post  j3pfilms Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:35 am

Sounds like fun. Look forward to seeing those two scripts you mentioned. No prizes for guessing where the title "Kill Damon" came from!

It's interesting the way people react to your work in a situation like that. One of the most bizarre things that I've ever experienced was when we started watching Space Station 5 in our science lesson one day. We have it on the big projector. However we were watching it full screen on YouTube so the quality wasn't terrific. But I was sitting at one side of the classroom, most of the rest of the cast were on the other. Some of the other cast weren't that familiar with the film and ocassionally glared at me when they realised how embarrasing some scenes were! But the rest of the people in the room thoroughly enjoyed it, mainly because it was 9 people they knew making fools of themselves. But seeing people laughing at jokes I had written was amazing. When I'd first finished editing Space Station 5 I hated it. It had not turned out the way I had hoped and it seemed like a hard year's work had been wasted. But the film seems to have aged like fine wine, it's definately a lot funnier now than it was 19 months ago! So if you've never seen Space Station 5, take a look, because I reckon you can still get a few chuckles out of it!

I always feel a great pride when someone says "I watched your videos on YouTube the other day. They're great." At that point I'm usually too embarrased to say thank you or anything sensible, so I just say, "Oh you mean the rubbish with me standing there talking to myself!" But they still continue to convince me that it's good stuff. And I am very proud of it even though I know there is some serious dramatic stuff which people will just laugh at. My parents of course never let me live down some of the really dramatic stuff and just take the piss all the time! Doesn't bother me though amazingly! i know they're only joking really.

I've never met anyone who knows more about my films than me sadly. But the reactions and opinions to things like the finale of The Subject really got me buzzing and really opened my eyes to the fact that people can really get into something like a YouTube web series!

Anyway, that's my little speech over. Glad the screening and everything went well Ade!
    Straker
    Straker
    Admin

The Woodbin Screens "Terror 9 11"!!! Empty Re: The Woodbin Screens "Terror 9 11"!!!

Post  Straker Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:44 am

Thanks Jack! And yes, the title "Kill Damon" did indeed come from the most logical and obvious source...the bloke who wrote the script! Laughing

Beats me if he's ever seen UFO or even heard of it, because I had never heard of the guy till an email turned up one day saying "Hi, I've gota story for Damon Dark. Would you like to read it?"

Seems like a nice bloke and a decent writer, though! Very Happy
    knightmare
    knightmare

Post  knightmare Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:37 am

Congratulations with the screening, Straker. it sounds like it was a very enjoyable evening. I imagine having direct response from people encourages you to get onto more projects too. I look forward to seeing those actresses in a future work... and a new DD writer! Cool... that should be interesting to see.

When groups of people watch something together -- and knowing the makers are present -- they do feel the need to react audibly in some way, and laughter is the easiest option to break any tension. Plus "Terror 911" is a fun story anyway.

I'm glad it was a good showing, mate.

Btw, I've yet to find a suitable avatar - for some reason, it wouldn't except my usual one, so I'll shop around.
    Straker
    Straker
    Admin

Post  Straker Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:51 am

Thanks Knightmare! Smile

Not sure why our forum wont take your avatar, that's a bit unfair, innit? Hmm....I'll have to ask my fellow mods about that!

Meanwhile Robert (Gary) is off over seas soon, so I wish him all the best for his holiday! He mentioned he might get me some location video for Damon Dark! That could be interesting!

(Gary passed out drunk on a banana lounge at the beach, peraps? Hehe!)

Terror 9 11 is a fun story...mind you, this audience laughed at a film where a guy was executing those who'd murdered his wife as well...I think they were just determined to have fun, no matter what was on the screen!

The only thing was...the MC gave the impression I basically make my films up as I go. While I certainly have improvised a few segments, Terror 9 11 was very carefully scripted and edited down to the essential lines only, before the camera rolled.
    R Kidda
    R Kidda

Post  R Kidda Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:24 am

Congrats on the screening Ade, I always liked Terror 9/11 great story. Good to see it went down quite well.
    Sorry I aint been round much or watched your last couple, hopefully I can rectify that soon when things cool down a bit. Don't get 5 minutes to relax at the mo.

Straker wrote:
    Over all, it was agood night and I talked to two very nice ladies about appearing in a couple of Damon Dark scripts, "Casualties of War" and "Kill Damon!". That will be good, because I think the ladies are very good actors who will bring something special to the scripts.

Good news about the actresses
    Casualties of War hey, that sound interesting shall look forward to that one.
    Embarassed Very Happy cheers
    Straker
    Straker
    Admin

Post  Straker Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:30 pm

Yeah, I think there's some potentially exciting stuff there...well, I may need to clear some of the eps off my computer onto disk and tape so I can make room for the next wave of Damon Dark adventures! See how we get on....

I wonder if my fellow forum members have any tips on how to archive past episodes?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:52 am