Damon Dark World

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Damon Dark World and his spin-off: Vincent Kosmos, The Young Adventures of Damon Dark, The Lansing Chronicles.

5 posters

Guys, we get a big plug on this website! Look!!!

Straker
    Straker
    Admin

Guys, we get a big plug on this website! Look!!! Empty Guys, we get a big plug on this website! Look!!!

Post  Straker Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:09 am

The Moonhoppers write:

Today we'd like to point out something we're enjoying for months now and maybe some of you have heard of or seen it, too. Talking about independent productions on YouTube, beginning with the Australian web series Damon Dark.

As Adrian Sherlock, the creator of UFO hunter Dark, told us, he found main inspiration for his series in Gerry Anderson's UFO, particularly episode Timelash being somehow 'responsible' for the birth of Damon Dark.

But since his hero stepped onto the scene years ago, the Damon Dark universe has expanded, especially since coming to YouTube. Other very creative, talented and prolific people with own ideas have joined him in producing more and more stuff in order to entertain fans around the globe. By now, it has become an international collaboration of dedicated people, contributing to the show (providing music, visual effects, developing new characters and guest starring, etc), even starting spin-offs and broadcasting them on YouTube.

Although we always state preferring old classic pictures to film/tv of today, we are greatly impressed by those programmes. Plus, we like it better than many of so called professionally done modern films and TV!

http://moonhoppers.multiply.com/journal/item/2/Independent_science-fiction_web_series_on_YouTube

Check it out!
    Oliver
    Oliver

Guys, we get a big plug on this website! Look!!! Empty Re: Guys, we get a big plug on this website! Look!!!

Post  Oliver Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:53 am

Thats cool.

I uses to submit to fan film forum and the comic bin. There also used to be "Sad Geek" which was pretty cool.

Always worth a punt.
    thetimethief
    thetimethief

Guys, we get a big plug on this website! Look!!! Empty Re: Guys, we get a big plug on this website! Look!!!

Post  thetimethief Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:11 pm

Weeeeeeeeeel..."Legendary Vincent Kosmos" sounds good enough:)
    knightmare
    knightmare

Post  knightmare Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:12 am

I don't know who Moonhoppers are, but that's cool to see someone giving the "Dark World" the thumbs up and directing towards your websites. I like the pic links they've embeded into the page.
    Straker
    Straker
    Admin

Post  Straker Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:30 pm

Yeah, it is very nice indeed! I think this is the start of a journey that will take the idea of Damon Dark and his related shows/characters to their ultimate destiny, which is to be one of the pioneering efforts of the new medium: internet television.

Nigel Kneale said he looked around in the early 1950s and wondered what would be the next big thing and it was television. He said the BBC was run by radio men at that time and they thought of TV as grossly inferior but Kneale wrote Quatermass and gave TV in England it's first credible hero.

Well, I thought long and hard about that in 2006 and thought "Maybe YouTube and the internet is the next big thing and maybe Damon Dark can be the Quatermass of web video." Three years later we have 30 Damon Dark stories up, and spinoffs like Vincent Kosmos, Young Damon Dark and now The Lansing Chronicles. I think that's amazing, I have to pinch myself when I look at this forum.

Reading the Moonhoppers blog really was a moment where I thought, "Wow. My dream has started to become a reality." It was really cool, really nice to see.

Ofcourse there will be cynics who will laugh at the optimism of my dream, and say "how can a no budget webseries ever become something significant?" But success is a journey, it's a direction you choose to take, and we are all on that journey now, success is already ours, now it's simply a case of that success growing over time, which it will. I recently put a film I made 16 years ago onto the net. I didn't have the technology 16 years ago to add music or edit it on a computer or put it out there for the world to see. But I do now. Who can say what the technology will be like in another 10 or 20 years?

There are already programs which can filter background hiss off sound tracks...I own the cleaned up "Let it Be...Naked" album of the Beatles, hearing the original studio sound free of background audio hiss and crackle.

And we've all seen digitally enhanced and cleaned up Dr.Who DVDs of old film prints. I believe some day Damon Dark and its fellow webseries will be made clearer, better, more impressive than before and they will become sought after by collectors. They will be the kids who currently watch YouTube on their PCs while Mum and Dad are watching TV. They will remember our work and want to own the...well, not DVD...not Blu Ray disks...it'll be something new...something better...not yet dreamt of...

And when that day comes Damon Dark, Vincent Kosmos, Dr.Lansing, Young Damon Dark and villains like The Magician and Hecate will live again!

And just like Dr.Who and Quatermass and Sapphire and Steel and The Tomorrow People and Blakes 7, there will be revivals, with more money and new effects and new people, because the names will live in the memory and people will say "Why don't they bring that back, I used to love that on YouTube, I'd buy that on disk!"

I believe that will happen...just keep sowing the seeds and tending the garden...the time of harvest must come! It's a law of life.
    moonhoppers
    moonhoppers

Guys, we get a big plug on this website! Look!!! Empty Visions of the future

Post  moonhoppers Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:35 pm

Hi all, Just stopping by here to say hello! And yes, it's not only the same screen name here incidentally. Wink We are the moonhoppers of multiply and maybe some of you may know us as Hummi79 from YouTube as well. Really glad to hear you like the blog. But what's more important, you guys deserve the credit! Smile

Ade, wonderful "speech" about the future of TV. It's the motivation and dedication of you all that make your series what they are. As viewers you notice that you put your heart and soul into it and that's what makes your heroes come ALIVE! And we don't regard your vision of the future as something to laugh about. You ought to have dreams and stick to them, believe in your projects - it's the best you can do! Because without dreams life wouldn't be worth living, and no progress would be made in the world. Okay, before this gets too philosophical...

We also think that internet TV will take over from "normal" TV one day. It's just a matter of time as many people are already watching shows on the net. The biggest plus is that you can watch it from nearly anywhere where you can connect to the internet. Most of the TV channels that offer digital streams of their programmes nowadays are limited to their home country due to legal stuff. So you wouldn't be able to watch a foreign channel like ITV in the UK. But the web format you're dreaming of would provide access to people from around the globe - and that is fantastic!!!
    Straker
    Straker
    Admin

Post  Straker Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:52 pm

Right! And with something like SF which attracts a "cult" audience, you need the whole world to find your following. That audience is who will one day support Damon Dark and its related spinoffs in the same way the older cult shows are today supported by their niche/fanbase.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content